- previous work has shown that golden nano rods is harmless to cells under 100μg/ml,and perform well when exposed to NIR.The feasibility of in vivo near-infrared OPTT is demonstrated after infected plasmids in tumor-bear mice by direct injection.PEG was used to increase biocompatibility,suppress immunogenic responses and to decrease adsorption. Near-infrared OPTT was performed extra corporally using a portable wave diode laser.
in vivo photothermal therapy
- Groups of four to six mice were used to establish optimal conditions for near-infrared NGR treatment of breast cancer tumor. 40μl of plasmids hsp70-P53 and hTERT-P53 were directly administered within the tumor. After 24 hours, another 40 μl plasmids were injected. Then 24 hours later, 80 μl pegylated golden nano rods were administered within the tumor interstitiam. After 24 hours, tumors were subjected to extracorporeal NIR exposure(808nm,6mm dia ) for 20 minutes of irradiation at 2.56W/cm2 for maximal tumor control and minimal damage to surrounding tissues.
- All the mice were divided into 8 groups, group A,B,C,D injected plasmids ; group A,B then were treated with GNR, group C,D were treated with PBS;group A,C were exposed to NIR(
group E,F,G,H injected PBS ; group E,F then were treated with GNR, group G,H were treated with PBS;group E,G were exposed to NIR(a 808 nm diode laser,ca.5mm beam diameter at 2.56 W/cm2 for 20 minutes at 24h,48h,72h,96h,120h after injection for the following experiment.And the tumor sizes were measured at given time points by using a digital caliper and were photographed.
- As time is limited, the vivo experiment is still in the progress. But we are glad to have see some fantastic changes.
- The six-day tumor volume shows that after infected hsp-p53 and hTERT-p53, the tumors are more likely to be depressed. With AuNRs and NIR, the depression is enhanced. It is likely that the system we developed actually work in vivo experiment.