Public Engagement and Education Overview
Realizing how important it is to spread word about synthetic biology and iGEM, we reached out in different ways to
- We educated over 600 students in different schools and colleges about the advent of synthetic biology and the role iGEM plays in it.
- We setup a stall outside a super market located in the shopping district of Chennai and interacted over 300 individuals and explain our project to them.
- Along with our college we conducted a two day workshop on genetic engineering, where we provided 80 participants with hands on training and lecture sessions on synthetic biology.
- During OMICS'16, a national level biotech symposium conducted by our college we set up a stall outside our department and spoke to over 500 participants, recorded their perspective of synthetic biology and genetic engineering. Further we went on to talk to them about iGEM and its goals. We also handed out pamphlets during this occasion
- Our members also went to Vilapakkam , a village in Tamil Nadu. Over there at the village headquarters we conducted a social awareness camp and educated milk vendors about clean milking practices, and how that can help prevent contamination. We also distributed gloves , hand sanitizers and masks to them.