We have established the collaborative relationship with Jilin_China NEFU_China XJTLU_CHINA and FAFU-CHINA during the competition. However, we thought that the universities mentioned above have helped us a lot more than we had returned because of our first time to participate that contest and lacking of experience.
NEFU-China for NEU-China
We have invited some predecessors coming from the Northeast Forestry University to introduce iGEM competition to us. It was a very cherish chance for us to know iGEM closely and to understand diverse ideas proposed by the teams coming from all over the word, which made us very excited. So, students who were from Northeast Forestry University gave us the first lesson about the competition and they guided us to solve some troubles we met at the beginning of registration such as registering on the web, remitting by wire transfer, filling in the form correctly and so on. So, we are very appreciated for their selfless help and efficient guides.
NEU-China for XJTLU_CHINA and JLU_China
In addition, our team was also ready to help others and glad to communicate with other
teams. We has provided some essential reagents and plasmid to other team after
verifying them right. We provided LUDOX - an interlab reagent to XJTLU_CHINA as soon as
they asked. Since we didn’t join in the plan of interlab experiment, we thought that
there might be some requirements of interlab reagents or plasmid. So, we pronounced
the case that we could provided our materials in the social communication platform. With the
competition going on, JLU_China had asked us for some materials and then we send
them the Test Device 3: J23117.B0034.E0040.B0015 in pSB1C3 and the FITC Standard.
We were pleasure to gave them a hand when they need help and that interaction led a
more closely communication between us. We have often exchange some experience and
experimental skills up to now.
At the very beginning of the competition, we had received a tube of plasmid provided by NAU-CHINA before DNA kits’ arriving. That solution contained the pSB1C3 plasmid backbone which could be used to submit parts. We were so grateful for that kindness behavior because we had nothing but the pSB1C3 at that time.
What’s more, we were seeking for an experimental cooperation positively until an active team - FAFU-CHINA - stepped into our eyesight. What they were doing really aroused our interests. In the later time, some students of us answered the survey they did and contacted with them full of enthusiasm.
Then, we proposed that we could help each other to solve some troubles on experimental. So, we send them the vector pBD024-tCas9-CIBN which should be transformed into E.coli, hoping for their generous cooperation. We hoped them to test if the tCas9-CIBN protein we created would be expressed in E.coli and to help us to got the accurate data about the induced concentration of arabinose. What they did acted as control experiments in order to demonstrated the validity of our former data. The result we concluded before was unsatisfactory. We were eager to get their feedback to compare with our idea. Well, facts proved that they were indeed an enthusiastic and efficient team! The feedback they gave had helped us to understand the results better and saved a lot of time for us. The details is shown at FAFU-CHINA.
In the daily contact with NEFU-China, we thought we can help each other to do something to increase the efficiency of the experiment. Meanwhile, reasonable cooperation can also proved the correctness of the results.
We had did some experiments to help NEFU-China to find out the best induce condition and to observe the total protein we extracted. The details also can be found at progress part we received a tube of plasmid from NEFU-China. According to their description, we designed experiments below to achieve the test goals:
- Transformed the plasmid into DH5alpla strain to amplify.
- Then miniprep the right vector after culturing.
- Transformed the obtained plasmid into Bl21 strain in 3 50ml centrifuge tubes respectively.
- Cultured at LB liquid medium with ampicillin antibiotic. Induced time was set as 4h, 8h, 16h.
- Ultrasonication in the protein lysis buffer.
- Reserved the supernatant after centrifuging.
- SDS-page electrophoresis.
- Coomassie blue staining after times of washing
We could see from the below picture (Figure 1) that the quantity of the expression protein was increasing with the time increasing. Concerning the obvious death of bacteria beyond 16h culturing, we recommend NEFU-China to induce the protein around 16h.
In order to compare with the control apparently, we contrasted the 16h induced protein and not induced protein. The result we got was illustrated as below (Figure 2) . We put these results together and send to NEFU-China, hoping what we did would helped them.
we also asked NEFU-China to help us detect the function of a plasmid which could express GFP. That really saved us amount of time. The final effect was pretty good, we had build a closely cooperation relationship! Both of each sides were looking forward another collaboration!
To exchange ideas with others, to cooperate with each other, you can broaden their thinking, improve the efficiency of the experiment. We hope to have more opportunities to contact the team around the world, we suggest that the headquarters could establish a more convenient platform for the communication among iGEMers, not confined to their own country. Because of the limited time, we have not been able to try more cooperation, but we cherish the friendship with the above team. We all learned from the collaboration that: help each other and make progress together!